What do I do in the case of a knocked-out tooth?

First, if it is a baby tooth, do not try and put it back into place. These teeth with be replaced by permanent teeth in time. You may want to see your dentist to make sure there is no other damage under the gums or to other teeth.

However, if it is an adult tooth, follow these steps carefully:

  1. Keep calm.
  2. Find the tooth and pick it up by the crown only – do not touch the root.
  3. Rinse mouth gently with water.
  4. If the tooth is dirty, you can rinse with water (again, only hold the crown and not the root). The person who lost the tooth can lick it to make sure his/her own saliva is on the tooth.
  5. Very carefully try to place the tooth back into position.
  6. Bite on a tissue or handkerchief to keep it in place.
  7. Go to the dentist immediately.
  8. If you are unable to re-position the tooth in its place, put it in milk and go immediately to the dentist.

(After office hours, you can go to your local hospital).

What can I do with a broken or chipped tooth?

The chances of saving a tooth depends on how severe the break or crack and the condition of the pulp. A chipped tooth can usually be restored with filling material and cosmetic bonding. With more tooth missing, we may recommend a crown or other restoration. You should get to the dentist within 24 hours to make sure the tooth has the best chance of survival.

What do I do if I have a tooth that has been injured and is now loose?

It is very important to see a dentist as soon as possible. We would need to determine the injury and make sure the tooth is stabilized. With appropriate treatment, the tooth can often be preserved.

What should it do if I have jaw pain due to an injury?

Jaw pain can indicate a broken or damaged jaw joint, or injured teeth. However, if there is no bleeding, displacement of teeth, and you can move your jaw properly with a proper bite, you may find that the jaw is only bruised. You can apply ice to reduce pain and swelling. If the pain is persistent, you should see a professional to get an x-ray to determine if there is a hairline fracture or any other damage.

If I have any emergency, how do I contact you?

You can use our emergency telephone number 04 388 1313 at any time. It is available 24/7.